Skip to content


Your cart is empty

Article: 14K White Gold vs. 18K White Gold vs. Platinum

14K White Gold vs. 18K White Gold vs. Platinum
14k gold

14K White Gold vs. 18K White Gold vs. Platinum

When comparing 14k white gold, 18k white gold, and platinum, there are several factors to consider, including composition, durability, appearance, and cost. Here's a breakdown of the key differences:


  1. Composition:

  • 14k white gold: Contains 58.3% pure gold, with the remaining 41.7% comprising other metals such as silver, nickel, or palladium.
  • 18k white gold: Contains 75% pure gold, with the remaining 25% comprising other metals.
  • Platinum: Considered a pure metal for jewelry, platinum is typically 95% to 98% pure.

  1. Durability:

  • 14k white gold: Due to its higher proportion of other metals, 14k white gold is generally more durable and resistant to scratches and dents.
  • 18k white gold: Slightly softer than 14k, 18k white gold is still reasonably durable but may be more prone to scratches and wear over time.
  • Platinum: Platinum is exceptionally durable, known for its strength and resistance to wear. It develops a unique patina over time, but its density makes it less prone to damage compared to gold.

  1. Appearance:

  • 14k white gold: Has a slightly paler color compared to 18k white gold and platinum. It may require rhodium plating to enhance its whiteness.
  • 18k white gold: Offers a warmer, richer color compared to 14k white gold. It has a more luxurious appearance and may require periodic rhodium plating to maintain its brightness.
  • Platinum: Has a naturally white and lustrous appearance. It does not require rhodium plating and maintains its color over time.

  1. Cost:

  • 14k white gold: Typically the most affordable option due to its lower gold content.
  • 18k white gold: Generally more expensive than 14k white gold due to its higher gold content.
  • Platinum: The most expensive option among the three due to its rarity and higher production costs.

Choosing between 14k white gold, 18k white gold, and platinum depends on personal preference, budget, and desired characteristics. If durability and affordability are important, 14k white gold is a good choice. If a richer color and higher gold content are preferred, 18k white gold is suitable. Platinum, with its exceptional durability and naturally white appearance, is often favored by those seeking a premium option with a higher price range.

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Read more

DO’s and DON'Ts of Shopping for and Engagement Rings

DO’s and DON'Ts of Shopping for and Engagement Rings

  When it comes to buying engagement rings, there are several important do's and don'ts to consider. Here's a list to help guide you:   Do's: Set a budget Determine how much you are willing and a...

Read more
Jewelry Care and Maintenance
jewelry care

Jewelry Care and Maintenance

Jewelry is a precious investment that can last a lifetime if properly cared for. However, even the most careful wearer can damage their jewelry if they don't know how to properly clean, store, and ...

Read more